Randolph in Rich County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
One week later, March 21st, Apostle Charles C. Rich and company arrived. They located the town using a rope as a surveyors chain, and laid it off in 10 acres to a block with 8 lots in each. The town was named Randolph, in honor of its first Bishop, Randolph H. Stewart.
Many others soon came, including: Levi O. Pead, William Howard Jr., Mrs. Agnes Smith, Samuel Henderson, Alfred C. and William Rex, John Cameron, Samuel Brough, William Tyson and Archibald McKinnon Sr.
They continued to come with a spirit of hope, not seeking wealth, but responding to a call, wanting only a peaceful, progressive way of life.
To a great extent, the town has revolved around the church. A log building was completed, serving as a place of worship, school house and amusement center. However, an adobe building soon replaced this small structure
The spring of 1871 found Randolph a thriving town. The tall sage was being grubbed, making more space for the lush, wild prairie grass to grow. Canals and ditches were surveyed and dug. Timber in near-by canyons, water and grazing were abundant. Streams abounded with fish and the wild game was plentiful.
A Post Office, store, blacksmith and saw mill were soon established.
In August, 1883, President John Taylor visited Randolph for a conference. After the services were dismissed, and many had departed, President Taylor called them back. Raising his right hand he said, "In the name of Jesus Christ, I not only bless you, but I bless this land for your sustenance."
Many significant changes were made during the next century. Sacrifice, hard work and united effort built the beautiful brick Tabernacle.
With the coming of electricity, modern communications and transportation, progress has been made. Powerful machinery now subdues the land producing bounteous hay and grain crops, Modern schools have long replaced the first small one-room building.
A few of the family names which are woven into the early settling of Randolph not before mentioned are: Brown, Corless, Evans, Gray, Gunn, Hatch, Hoffman, Jackson, Jacobson, Johnson, Jones, Kennedy, Muir, Nicholls, Norris,
Fond memories were relived at the Randolph Centennial Celebration in 1970.
Hundreds have responded to missionary calls throughout the world, as well as military service to our country. Many brave souls have paid the supreme sacrifice for the preservation of our freedom.
Still thrives essential goodness in the hearts of its people. Through triumphs and discouragements have come significant contributions of work, faith and human compassion which compel us to continually move forward.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is March 14, 1870.
Location. 41° 39.834′ N, 111° 11.109′ W. Marker is in Randolph, Utah, in Rich County. Marker is on South Main Street (Utah Route 16) north of West Park Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, overlooking the Wilford Woodruff Home. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 95 South Main Street, Randolph UT 84064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wilford Woodruff (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Randolph (a few steps from this marker); Chandler-Price Platen, Treadle Press (circa 1885) (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Randolph (approx. half a mile away); Fur Traders Rendezvous (approx. 16.2 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Randolph, Utah
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 9, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on May 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.