Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Carrie Margaret (Graham) and Paul Conrad Crusemann had this house built in 1917 as one of the first homes in the Enfield subdivision. Mrs. Crusemann was a granddaughter of Texas Governor E.M. Pease, and served as a silent partner in the Enfield Realty and Home Building Co. with other heirs of the Pease estate. Austin American co-owner and publisher Charles Marsh changed the home’s design and more than doubled its size in 1924, moving the main entrance from Windsor Road to Marshall Lane. The Jacobean Revival style brick and timber home features half-timbered multiple gables and multi-pane arched windows. Detailing by notable craftsmen includes woodcarvings by Peter Mansbendel and ironwork by Fortunat Weigl.
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 2009
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15716.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1917.
Location. 30° 16.97′ N, 97° 45.332′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1509 Marshall Lane, Austin TX 78703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Okewell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pease Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Judge Calvin Maples Cureton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carrington Bluff House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Snead-Rieck House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Henry H. and Bertha Sterzing Ziller House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hezikiah Haskell House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clarksville (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2020, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 10, 2020, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.