Seguin in Guadalupe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Second Baptist Church of Seguin
Following the Civil War, freedmen and their families settled in communities and sought out a place to educate their children and a place of worship. The reverend Leonard Ilsley, a native of Maine, came to Seguin before the Civil War and remained after the war to assist the freedmen community. He helped organize several freedmen churches in the county, performed dozens of marriage ceremonies, and financed the building of a male dormitory at Guadalupe College. On November 16, 1865, Rev. Ilsley met with a small group of freedmen and freedwomen in Seguin and organized the Second Baptist Church of Seguin.
The congregation eventually settled in to a small concrete and adobe building on East Court and South Bauer Streets known as The Andrevw Neill Church House. Rev. Ilsley preached and provided pastoral leadership until Hiram Wilson was appointed pastor in 1867. Prior to emancipation, Hiram Wilson and his brothers were slaves of a Presbyterian minister. Under Rev. Wilson's leadership, the church purchased property at its current location on S. Guadalupe Street in 1874 and built a building for worship and a school. Membership included
Born in a time of turbulence and turmoil, the Second Baptist Church of Seguin has been a beacon of safety, hope and faith for the African American community of Seguin for well over 150 years.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18789.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is November 16, 1865.
Location. 29° 33.897′ N, 97° 58.161′ W. Marker is in Seguin, Texas, in Guadalupe County. Marker is on South Guadalupe Street south of West Convent Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 609 S Guadalupe St, Seguin TX 78155, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 257 West Convent St. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Moore House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Guadalupe High School (approx. ¼ mile away); Hugo and Georgia Gibson House (approx. ¼ mile away); Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Zies-Vivroux Residence (approx. 0.3 miles away); Los Nogales (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Dietz Doll House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seguin.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 20, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.