Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Perryville in Decatur County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Perryville First County Seat of Perry County

 
 
Perryville First County Seat of Perry County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Curtis Wise, May 18, 2020
1. Perryville First County Seat of Perry County Marker
Inscription.  In November 1821, the Tennessee General Assembly passed acts directing appointed commissioners to locate the county seat of the 1819-confirmed county of Perry. The appointees selected the community of Midtown to be laid off as a town called and known by the name of Perryville, reserving two acre for the public square. The square included a courthouse, prison, and stocks. Perryville remained the Perry County seat until 1845 when it became a part of Decatur County.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4A 60.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable PlacesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1821.
 
Location. 35° 37.171′ N, 88° 2.595′ W. Marker is in Perryville, Tennessee, in Decatur County. Marker is on State Highway 100 at milepost 14.5, half a mile north of Perryville Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3010 Sardis Ridge Rd, Parsons TN 38363, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memoriam (approx. 1.1 miles away); Amphibious Attack on Linden (approx. 1.3 miles away); Divided Loyalties (approx. 4.7 miles away); Revolutionary War Veterans Monument (approx. 4.9 miles away); Confederate Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); Brownsport Furnace (approx. 4.9 miles away); Decatur County Veterans Monument (approx. 5 miles away); The "Pea Vine" A Ghost Railroad / Parsons A Railroad Town (approx. 5.1 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 21, 2020, by Curtis Wise of Jackson, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 6 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on May 21, 2020, by Curtis Wise of Jackson, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150304

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2021