Hereford in Deaf Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Two-Wheel Fire Hose Reel
Hereford's mid-1913 equipment to fight fires. Hand-propelled, or (at a $5 bonus) hauled by the auto or horses of a bystander. Reel cost only $133, but in two months was discarded: a motor truck with ladders was bought. Prior to 1913 the fire wagon in almost every Texas town was drawn by a fine team of horses, trained to trot into place at sound of the fire whistle. The fire wagon charged down dirt streets with smoke billowing and horses at a dead gallop. After multi-million dollar fires, 1909-1912, Texas cities wanted better fire equipment.
Erected 1967. (Marker Number 5584.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Disasters.
Location. 34° 49.122′ N, 102° 23.949′ W. Marker is in Hereford, Texas, in Deaf Smith County. Marker is on Sampson Street north of East 4th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Sampson Street, Hereford TX 79045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Former Site of St. Anthony's Catholic School (here, next to this marker); Ghost Towns Deaf Smith Courthouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Deaf Smith County (about 500 feet away); Quanah Parker Trail (about 600 feet away); Pioneer Windmill (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mothers Park (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hereford.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 24, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.