Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near McMinnville in Grundy County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Northcutts Cove Chapel

 
 
Northcutts Cove Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 17, 2020
1. Northcutts Cove Chapel Marker
Inscription.  
The Northcutts Cove Chapel is the oldest standing meetinghouse of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons) in the Southeastern United States. The building was constructed and paid for by local members, friends, and missionaries. John Tipton, a Church member in Northcutts Cove, donated the land on which the building stands.

The chapel was dedicated 24 October 1909 by Charles A. Callis, President of the Southern States Council of the Twelve Apostles. At the time of the building's completion, Northcutts Cove was headquarters for the Church's East Tennessee Conference. The chapel became a center for disseminating Latter-day Saint teachings in the state. It was the site of a three-day debate (24-26 October 1909) between Charles A. Callis and a Church of Christ (Campbellite) minister. Latter-day Saints considered the unbiased newspaper reports of the debate to be a fair representation of the Church as a positive, growing Christian religion.

On 18 April, 1979, the Northcutts Cove Chapel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 1986 by
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Chattanooga Tennessee Stake, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is October 24, 1909.
 
Location. 35° 30.794′ N, 85° 44.996′ W. Marker is near McMinnville, Tennessee, in Grundy County. Marker can be reached from Northcutt Cove Road, 1.6 miles west of West Smartt Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6786 Northcutt Cove Road, McMinnville TN 37110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grundy County Confederate Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); Korean and Vietnam Conflicts Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); In Memory of LTJG William (Billy) E. Stulce (approx. 5.9 miles away); Altamont, Tennessee World War Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); Forrest's Murfreesboro Raid (approx. 6 miles away); a different marker also named Forrest's Murfreesboro Raid (approx. 6.4 miles away); Beersheba Inn (approx. 6.4 miles away); Higgenbotham's Cave (approx. 9.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  The Building of Northcutts Cove Chapel and the Growth of Mormonism in Grundy County, Tennessee 1896-. A research paper by Randall J. Bunn, dated April 29, 1987. From the Church History
Northcutts Cove Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 17, 2020
2. Northcutts Cove Chapel Marker
Library, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (Submitted on May 25, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
Additional keywords. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, LDS, Mormonism
 
Northcutts Cove Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.A. Lively
3. Northcutts Cove Chapel Marker
View of Church members posed in front of the Northcutts Cove meetinghouse, and a group portrait of missionaries serving in the East Tennessee Conference of the Southern States Mission, taken 24 October 1909, also at Northcutts Cove. The conference portrait includes Charles A. Callis, mission president. Courtesy of the Church History Library, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Northcutts Cove Chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.A. Lively
4. Northcutts Cove Chapel
View of Church members posed in front of the Northcutts Cove meetinghouse, and a group portrait of missionaries serving in the East Tennessee Conference of the Southern States Mission, taken 24 October 1909, also at Northcutts Cove. The conference portrait includes Charles A. Callis, mission president. Courtesy of the Church History Library, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Northcutts Cove Chapel centennial stone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 17, 2020
5. Northcutts Cove Chapel centennial stone
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 487 times since then and 198 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 25, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150455

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 13, 2024