Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The City of Tampa established a municipal airport at Drew Field in 1928 on a 160-acre tract leased from farmer, real estate developer and aviation enthusiast John Higley Drew. The City purchased Drew Field in 1934 and added new runways, hangers and lighting that were in large part financed by federal funding through the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
The U.S. government leased Drew Field from the City in 1940, along with additional land from Hillsborough County and developed the property into an Army Air Corps Base. The main entrance was located at the current intersection of Tampa Bay Boulevard and Dale Mabry Highway. Dale Mabry was constructed in 1943 to connect Drew Field with MacDill Field, Tampa's other major Army Air Corps Base. Drew Field was initially a sub-base of MacDill, but it became a separate base in September 1941 and headquarters for the Third Fighter Command. The base extended from Hillsborough Avenue to beyond today's Eisenhower Boulevard and from Columbus Drive to Dale Mabry. Lt. Col. Melvin B. Asp served as Drew Field's base commander during most
Shortly after the war ended in 1945, Drew Field was deactivated as an army air corps base and some of its property was converted to a municipal airport. National Airlines and Eastern Airlines both served the airport by mid-1946. In 1947, the city of Tampa bought the Drew Field property from the federal War Assets Administration. Serving as the municipal airport, its name was changed to Tampa International Airport in 1952. Over the years it was deeded from the City of Tampa to the Hillsborough County Aviation Authority. Other property, formerly part of Drew Field, is now the site of Hillsborough Community College and Steinbrenner Field. The neighborhood of Drew Park also occupies property that had been included within Drew Field.
Erected 2016 by Drew
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1928.
Location. 27° 58.452′ N, 82° 30.353′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of West Tampa Bay Boulevard and North Dale Mabry Boulevard (U.S. 92), on the right when traveling west on West Tampa Bay Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4001 West Tampa Bay Boulevard, Tampa FL 33614, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. W.T. Edwards Hospital Complex (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carver City-Lincoln Gardens (approx. one mile away); The Andres Diaz Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); George Guida (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hugh C. Macfarlane (approx. 1.4 miles away); Morgan Cigar Factory (approx. 1½ miles away); Franciscan Center, Founded in 1970 (approx. 1.6 miles away); Centro Español de West Tampa (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
Also see . . .
1. Drew Field. (Submitted on May 27, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
2. Drew Field. (Submitted on May 27, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 735 times since then and 402 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 26, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 3. submitted on May 27, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 4. submitted on May 26, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.