Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Buckholts in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Sharp

 
 
Sharp Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 1, 2020
1. Sharp Marker
Inscription.  A farming and ranching community, Sharp traces its origins to the years immediately after the Civil War when settlers, attracted by the fertile black soil, began arriving in this area. The first business, a store, opened in 1892. It was soon joined by a blacksmith shop and the Davis General Store in 1896. Cotton was the principal crop of the area, and a gin opened in 1896. When a post office was established here in 1901, the name Sharp was chosen to honor Dr. William F. Sharp, a physician in Davilla (3.5 mi. W). An annual reunion of Sharp residents began in 1978.
 
Erected 1987. (Marker Number 8001.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
 
Location. 30° 45.085′ N, 97° 9.374′ W. Marker is near Buckholts, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 487 west of County Road 410A, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Buckholts TX 76518, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sharp General Store (a few steps from this marker); Sharp Presbyterian Church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); William Persky (approx. 1.1 miles away); Sharp Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Apache Pass River Crossing (approx. 4.4 miles away); San Gabriel Christian Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Site of Mission San Francisco Xavier de Los Dolores (approx. 4.9 miles away); Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buckholts.
 
Sharp Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 1, 2020
2. Sharp Marker Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 2, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150881

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024