Columbia in Maury County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
College Hill High School
College Hill School, originally known as the Colored Public School, was the first public school for African Americans in Maury County. Established in 1881, the school's first principal was J.H. Kelly. In 1885 W.I. Lewis, who served as principal from 1884 to 1887, went to the North to raise funds to construct a new building. In August of 1885 city officials closed the school for ten months, during which period a new school was built. After the last high school class graduated in 1949, the school became College Hill Elementary School. In 2006 the school was renamed Horace O. Porter School at College Hill in memory of the former student, football coach, and principal, who served more than 40 years at the school.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3D 80.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
Location. 35° 36.51′ N, 87° 1.795′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1101 Bridge Street, Columbia TN 38401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Side by Side (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mount Lebanon Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1946 Columbia Race Riot / A.J. Morton Funeral Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Columbia Fire Department (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Station Train Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Maury County Colored Hospital (approx. half a mile away); Andrew Johnson (approx. half a mile away); The Forrest-Gould Affair (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . . History of H. O. Porter School. From school website. (Submitted on June 10, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 102 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 10, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.