Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Remington in Jasper County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Remington Water Tower

 
 
Front of the marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, June 30, 2007
1. Front of the marker
Inscription.  
Built 1897 by Challenge Wind and Feed Mill Company of Batavia, Illinois. Rare tower and wood tank structure is an original example of nineteenth century public water utility facility, construction methods, and technology. Tower has limestone foundation, is 104 feet tall and approximately 20 feet in diameter, with two-foot thick brick walls.

Original 1897 tank replaced 1924 by Challenge; 66,000 gallon tank is made of horizontally curved cypress battens held in place by metal binder rings. Additions made to structure, which has housed various governmental services. Awarded American Water Works Association’s Water Landmark Award 1986. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 2003.
 
Erected 2005 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Town of Remington, and Remington Historical Society. (Marker Number 37.2006.1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkLandmarks. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
40° 45.73′ N, 87° 9.055′ W. Marker is in Remington, Indiana, in Jasper County. Marker is at the intersection of East Michigan Street and North Ohio Street on East Michigan Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Remington IN 47977, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fountain Park Chautauqua (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Wolcott House (approx. 5.7 miles away); Foster Park (approx. 7.4 miles away); St. Joseph’s Indian Normal School (approx. 11 miles away); Taft Rally at Ade Estate (approx. 11.4 miles away).
 
Back of the marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, June 3, 2007
2. Back of the marker
Remington Water Tower Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, June 30, 2007
3. Remington Water Tower Marker
Remington Water Tower Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, June 30, 2007
4. Remington Water Tower Marker
The Vicinity, looking south to downtown image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, June 30, 2007
5. The Vicinity, looking south to downtown
Doorway and dedication plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, June 30, 2007
6. Doorway and dedication plaque
Dedication plaque over the door image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, June 30, 2007
7. Dedication plaque over the door
Plaque reads: Remington, Ind. Water Works 1897. Town Board: J. Allman, Pres.; I.W. Yeoman, Clerk. Aldermen: O.P.Taber, W. Shepherd, C.T. Denham, M. J. Phelps Built by Challenge Wind Mill and Feed Mill Co., Batavia, IL.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,551 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 2, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=1513

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024