Downtown in St. Louis, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Old Judge Coffee Bldg.
710 N. Second St.
This building was originally built by Marcus Berheimer for $30,000. The Scarf and Bernheimer Shipping Company located here for warehousing and office space.
In 1918 the David Evans Company moved its Old Judge Coffee and Spice business into the building. At that time, 3 million pounds of coffee was being produced. The price of coffee then was 6 cents a pound.
Old Judge was the first company to utilize sealed cans.
In 1962, Old Judge Coffee was sold to Chock-Full-O-Nuts, and operations ceased at this location. The aroma of cinnamon still permeates two floors of this building.
In 1977 the building was re-habbed and today, coffee is sold again in the restaurants on the first floor. Current tenants also include engineering, marketing and technology firms, along with residences.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 38° 37.817′ N, 90° 11.066′ W. Marker was in Downtown in St. Louis, Missouri. Marker was on North Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 710 North Second Street, Saint Louis MO 63102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Rue de l’Eglise (within shouting distance of this marker); Rue Royale (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Missouri Hotel (about 400 feet away); La Grande Rue (about 400 feet away); The James B. Eads Bridge (about 700 feet away); Site of First Mormon Meeting Place in St. Louis (about 800 feet away); The Missouri Athletic Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1996 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downtown.
More about this marker. This marker was located in the Laclede's Landing Neighborhood.
Also see . . . Stop #11: Old Judge Coffee Building - Laclede's Landing self-guided tour. At 710 N Second Street is a five story brick structure with a richly ornamented cast iron ground floor originally built for the salesroom, offices and warehouse of Scharff, Bernnheimer Company for $30,000. When the building was built in 1844, it included ornate cast iron pitched roof line not seen today. (Submitted on November 12, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 429 times since then and 104 times this year. Last updated on June 17, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 3. submitted on June 17, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. 4, 5. submitted on November 12, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.