Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Livonia in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Kingsley House

Built 1843 • Moved 1977 • Opened 1986

 
 
The Kingsley House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
1. The Kingsley House Marker
Inscription.  
Nathan Kingsley built this Greek Revival style house in 1843 in Section 16 of Livonia Township. The house was built from trees on the property. He married Mary Lambert that same year; they had four children. Their daughter Emma and her husband Joseph McEachran inherited the home and ran the farm until Joseph's death. In 1977, the owner at that time, Mrs. Allen, donated the house to the City of Livonia.

Greek Revival style was popular in the early nineteenth century due to intellectual interest in Greek culture at that time. It was the first national style of architecture in the United States. Homes were usually painted white which was intended to resemble white marble or stone. Three houses at Greenmead are of this style.

The Kingsley House was originally located on Farmington Road, north of 5 Mile Road in Section 16.
 
Erected by City of Livonia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1843.
 
Location. 42° 26.283′ N, 83° 25.087′ 
Left image image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
2. Left image
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Livonia, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from Newburgh Road south of Eight Mile Road. Marker is in Historic Greenmead [park], about 0.2 mile from Newburgh Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20501 Newburgh Road, Livonia MI 48152, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Shaw House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cranson-Hinbern House (within shouting distance of this marker); Friends Meeting House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Detroit United Railway Waiting Room (about 400 feet away); Joshua Simmons Farm (about 400 feet away); The Bungalow (about 400 feet away); A.J. Geer Store (about 500 feet away); Alexander Blue House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livonia.
 
Also see . . .  Explore the Buildings. (Submitted on June 18, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Near right images image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
3. Near right images
Top: The Kingsley Family circa 1913. Oren Millard, Glenn McEachran, Ethel Millard, Lillian Maney, Emma Kingsley McEachran, and Joseph McEachran.
Bottom: A horse-drawn cart heading north on Farmington Road in 1913. The Kingsley Farm is in the background.
Far right image image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
4. Far right image
Photo taken in 1913. Railings were most likely added to the porch in the 1880's.
The Kingsley House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
5. The Kingsley House and Marker
Marker is at the far left of the image.
Historic Greenmead sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
6. Historic Greenmead sign
Sign on the west side of Newburgh Road for the historic village.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 18, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151529

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 9, 2022