Fitzwilliam in Cheshire County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
The 3rd Meeting House of the Town of Fitzwilliam
It stands on the site of the second meeting house which was built in 1816 and destroyed by fire nine weeks after it was consecrated.
Acquired by the town of Fitzwilliam for use as town hall in 1858.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1817.
Location. 42° 46.776′ N, 72° 8.684′ W. Marker is in Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire, in Cheshire County. Marker is on Templeton Turnpike 0.1 miles south of New Hampshire Route 119, on the left when traveling south. Marker is mounted above eye-level at the northwest corner of the Fitzwilliam Town Hall building, facing Templeton Turnpike. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13 Templeton Turnpike, Fitzwilliam NH 03447, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brigadier General James Reed (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Brigadier General James Reed (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War I Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away); Troy Common (approx. 3.8 miles away); Veterans MemorialVeterans Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); Troy’s Hero (approx. 3.8 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fitzwilliam.
Regarding The 3rd Meeting House of the Town of Fitzwilliam. National Register of Historic Places #77000162. Also a contributing property of the Fitzwilliam Common Historic District, National Register of Historic Places #97000399.
Also see . . .
1. Third Fitzwilliam Meetinghouse (Wikipedia). Both the 1816 and 1817 buildings are believed to be faithful replicas of a church designed by Elias Carter and built in Templeton, Massachusetts. This church design was particularly influential in a series of church buildings erected in the early decades of the 19th century in southwestern New Hampshire, and the Fitzwilliam structure is believed to be the first of those to be built. Although it was built primarily as a church, it was converted to entirely secular uses in 1858, at which time the gallery level was converted into a full second story. (Submitted on June 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Meeting House of 1817: The Revere Bell. The Revere bell, first placed in the meeting-house of 1816, fell unharmed in the fire. It was cracked in 1881 and had to be re-cast. 300 silver dollars were added to the metal to ensure a silvery tone. The bell weighs 1,534 pounds, and was re-cast by the Blake Company of Boston. (Submitted on June 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 41 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.