Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Although settlement of the town of Cedar Springs did not begin until after 1843, the area had been surveyed during the late 1830s by Colonel G. W. Cooke in preparation for construction of a military road from Austin to the Red River. In 1843, Dr. John Cole and his wife, Mary, along with their eight children, arrived in this area. Cole received a Peters Colony land grant about two miles east of the Cedar Springs branch of the Trinity River. Preferring to settle closer to the springs, he purchased additional acreage in this area, built a home, and opened a general store. The name of the community possibly was taken from the abundance of cedar trees near the springs. Cedar Springs gradually attracted additional settlers, and several other businesses, including a distillery, steam-powered flour mill, and grist mill, were begun.
Development of the Cedar Springs community declined following Dallas' selection as the Dallas County Seat in 1850. Toward the end of the nineteenth century, the area began to experience suburban growth and was renamed Oak Lawn. The site of the early town of Cedar Springs was annexed by the City of Dallas
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6648.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 49.138′ N, 96° 49.232′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Cedar Springs Road, on the right when traveling north. The marker is viewable after gaining access into the apartment complex, walking through the parking garage, down some stairs, then through a narrow walkway to skirt a creek. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4810 Cedar Springs Road, Dallas TX 75219, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reichenstein Home (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Cedar Springs (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stephen J. Hay School (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Crossroads (approx. 0.8 miles away); Oak Lawn United Methodist Church (approx. one mile away); Parkland Hospital (approx. one mile away); Dallas Baby Camp (approx. 1.1 miles away); Southwestern Medical College (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 101 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.