Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fredericton in York County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces (North America)
 

Anatomy of the Guard

Anatomie de la Garde

 
 
Anatomy of the Guard Marker (<i>English</i>) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 30, 2019
1. Anatomy of the Guard Marker (English)
Inscription.  
English:
Fredericton's Changing of the Guard ceremony commemorates the birth of the Canadian Army in Officers' Square in 1883.

Following the formation of the Dominion of Canada in 1867 and the departure of British Forces, the Canadian Infantry School Corps was formed on December 21, 1883 by order of Parliament. Fredericton was home to "A" Company, with "B" Company in Quebec and "C" in Toronto.

The first soldiers were issued a tunic, trousers, a great coat, forage cap and boots, as well as personal clothing of shirts, socks and underwear, a suit of fatigue clothing and cleaning equipment. Records of the time indicate commanding officers complained about the lack of helmets. Soldiers on ceremonial parade in Officers' Square at the turn of the century wore the universal-style pith helmet with brass spike and helmet plate that re-enactors wear today.

Today's re-enactors wear reproduction 1883 uniforms including a scarlet tunic with dark-blue collar, cuffs and shoulder straps. The front opening, collar base and shoulder straps are piped with white tape, while the pointed cuffs are trimmed with a crow's-foot
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
white braid. Eight buttons line the front of the tunic, with two at the waist behind. Dark blue trousers are trimmed with a narrow red welt down the outside seam.

Changing of the Guard re-enactment ceremonies take place in Officers' Square throughout July and August.

1. Helmet Plate: The helmet plate is a two piece design in use from 1878-1914. It consists of a Star Plate and a Star Plate Centre, inscribed "Royal School of Infantry" and featuring a uniquely Canadian silver beaver design.

2. Dress Belt: The sword belt is white enameled leather with a round gilt clasp of regimental design and white ammunition pouches.

3. Weaponry: In 1883, soldiers were armed with the breech-loading .577 calibre single shot Long Snider-Enfield rifle, also known as a 3-banded Snider. Featuring a 36 ½ inch barrel and an 18 inch triangular socket bayonet, it was the standard issue of the Canadian Infantry for more than 25 years. Re-enactors carry a reproduction black powder 3-banded Enfield rifle with percussion ignition.

4. Pioneers: Marching of 19th century troops occurred in rugged country. Pioneers were a portion of the force chosen from infantry ranks to advance ahead to improve tracks, build bridges and prepare the way. In 1883, Pioneers wore aprons to keep their uniforms clean. Today they wear them on ceremonial parade and carry
Anatomie de la Garde Marker (<i>Français</i>) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 30, 2019
2. Anatomie de la Garde Marker (Français)
a hewing axe to represent one of the multiple types of axes used by the Pioneers.

Français:
La cérémonie de la relève de la garde de Fredericton commémore la naissance de l'armée canadienne à la place des Officiers en 1883.

Peu après la création du Dominion du Canada en 1867 et le départ des forces britanniques, l'École du corps d'infanterie canadienne voit le jour, le 21 décembre 1883, par ordre du Parlement. Fredericton accueille alors la compagnie A tandis que la compagnie B s'installe à Québec et la compagnie C, à Toronto.

Les premiers soldats recevaient une veste d'uniforme et un pantalon, un pardessus, un képi et des bottes, ainsi que des vêtements personnels, notamment des chemises, des chaussettes et des sous-vêtements, une tenue de corvée et du matériel de nettoyage. Selon les dossiers de l'époque, les commandants déploraient le manque de casques. Les soldats qui participaient à la prise d'armes à la place des Officiers au tournant du siècle arboraient le casque colonial traditionnel, surmonté d'une pointe en laiton et agrémenté d'une plaque de masque. C'est celui que portent aujourd'hui les acteurs qui les personnifient.

Ces acteurs qui participent à la reconstitution historique portent la reproduction de l'uniforme de 1883, notamment une veste écarlate parée d'un col bleu foncé, de manchettes et de pattes d'épaule. L'ouverture
Anatomy of the Guard Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 30, 2019
3. Anatomy of the Guard Marker
(Fredericton Region Museum in background)
• • •
(Musée de la région de Fredericton en arrière-plan)
à l'avant, la base du col et les pattes d'épaule sont garnies d'un liseré blanc et les manchettes à pointes, d'un galon blanc en pattes d'oie. Le devant de la veste comporte une rangée de huit boutons, avec deux autres boutons sur la bande de taille, dans le dos. Le pantalon bleu foncé est orné d'un étroit passepoil rouge sur les coutures extérieures.

La reconstitution historique de la relève de la garde se déroule à la place des Officiers tout au long des mois de juillet et août.

1. Plaque de casque : Entre 1878 et 1914, la plaque de casque comportait deux pièces. Elle consistait en une plaque de forme étoilée avec en son milieu l'inscription « Royal School of Infantry » (école du corps d'infanterie) dans un cercle au centre duquel figure la représentation typique en argent d'un castor canadien.

2. Ceinture : Le ceinturon d'épée est en cuir blanc émaillé agrémenté d'un fermoir rond et doré avec motif régimentaire et doté de cartouchières blanches.

3. Armement : En 1883, les soldats étaient armés d'un fusil long Snider-Enfield à un coup de calibre .577 à chargement par la culasse, également connu sous le nom de Snider « 3 bandes ». Avec son canon de 36 po ½ (environ 92 cm) et sa baïonnette à douille triangulaire de 18 po (environ 45 cm), cette arme a été la norme au sein de l'infanterie canadienne pendant plus de 25 ans. Les
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
acteurs de la reconstitution historique portent une reproduction du fusil Enfield « 3 bandes » à poudre noire avec allumage à percussion.

4. Pionniers : Au 19e siècle, le déploiement des troupes avait lieu sur des terres sauvages. Les pionniers constituaient une partie de la force dont les membres étaient choisis dans les rangs de l'infanterie, déployés à l'avance pour améliorer l'état des sentiers, construire des ponts et ouvrir la voie. En 1883, les pionniers portaient des tabliers pour éviter de salir leur uniforme. Aujourd'hui, on les revêt à l'occasion de la prise d'armes et on porte une hache à équarrir qui représente l'un des nombreux types de haches utilisées par les pionniers.
 
Erected by Fredericton Tourism and Culture/Tourisme et culture de Fredericton.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Military. A significant historical date for this entry is December 21, 1883.
 
Location. 45° 57.711′ N, 66° 38.368′ W. Marker is in Fredericton, New Brunswick, in York County. Marker can be reached from Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102) west of Sainte Anne's Point Drive, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located at the Officers' Square Provincial Heritage site, near the southeast corner of the Fredericton Region Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 571 Queen Street, Fredericton NB E3B 5C8, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Rainsford's Brave Rescue (here, next to this marker); Juliana Horatia (Gatty) Ewing (here, next to this marker); Birthplace of the Canadian Army (here, next to this marker); Epic Winter March of New Brunswick Soldiers in the War of 1812 (a few steps from this marker); New Brunswick's 104th Regiment of Foot (within shouting distance of this marker); The Right Honourable William Maxwell Lord Beaverbrook (within shouting distance of this marker); Fredericton Military Compound / Le Complexe Militaire de Frédéricton (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The 104th Regiment / Le 104e Régiment (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericton.
 
More about this marker. South side of marker in English; north side of marker in French • Côté sud du marqueur en anglais; côté nord du marqueur en français
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 8, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152399

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024