Jupiter in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
DuBois Pioneer Home
Standing atop a Native American Mound, the home was originally a one-story structure that was later expanded to accommodate a growing family. Withstanding numerous hurricanes, this unique and well-loved homestead is rich in both historic and archaeological value.
Acquired by the Board of County Commissioners in 1974 and managed by the Parks and Recreation Department with assistance from the Loxahatchee River Historical Society and the Loxahatchee Guild.
Erected 2019 by Florida State Society, Daughters of the American Colonists.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 26° 56.593′ N, 80° 4.533′ W. Marker is in Jupiter, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker is on DuBois Road, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19075 Dubois Rd, Jupiter FL 33477, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jupiter Inlet Midden I (a few steps from this marker); Jupiter Inlet Shipwrecks (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jupiter and Lake Worth Railway (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse began protecting ships at sea on July 10, 1860 (approx. half a mile away); Jupiter Lighthouse Museum (approx. half a mile away); Jupiter Lighthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Unconquered Legacy (approx. 0.6 miles away); A People By The Sea (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jupiter.
Regarding DuBois Pioneer Home. Used by Harry and Susan DuBois as a family home from their marriage in 1898 until after Harry's death in 1924. DuBois family rented the home out, mostly short-term, in the 1930s and 1940s. The most notable renters were Charles McLean Andrews and Evangeline Walker Andrews in the early 1940s. They produced a new edition of the book "Jonathan Dickinson's Journal" in 1945 because of their visits here. From 1950 to 1974, the home was owned by Leo Vickers and known as the Vickers House. It has been an pioneer house museum since 1975.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2020, by Josh Liller of Jupiter, Florida. This page has been viewed 430 times since then and 193 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 11, 2020, by Josh Liller of Jupiter, Florida. 2. submitted on June 29, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 3, 4. submitted on June 10, 2021, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.