Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Charlotte in Charlotte County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Town of McCall

 
 
Town of McCall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, July 8, 2020
1. Town of McCall Marker
Inscription.  In 1905, the Charlotte Harbor and Northern Railroad (CH&N) built a depot and section house along its rail line from the phosphate mines at Mulberry to the port of Boca Grande. The CH&N Railroad platted the town of McCall in 1909 and named it for C.B. McCall, the general freight and passenger agent at Boca Grande. The section house was home to the section foreman and his family. More houses were built for other railroad workers and their families. A bunkhouse was built for the single men. This cluster of buildings was the beginning of the town of McCall. The town soon contained a turpentine camp, sawmill, store, post office, one-room school house and two churches. Trains would stop and take on water for their boilers from a nearby pond. By 1928, McCall was a non-stop station and cattleman Arthur “A.C.” Frizzell purchased the railroad property, demolishing most of the buildings. The McCall Section House was the last remaining structure left standing until it burned down in 2004. The intersection of County Road 771 and State Road 776 is the only visible remnant of what was once the town of McCall.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2016 by Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
 
Location. 26° 55.852′ N, 82° 13.406′ W. Marker is in Port Charlotte, Florida, in Charlotte County. Marker can be reached from Gasparilla Road (County Route 771) 0.1 miles south of South McCall Road (Florida Route 776). Marker is in the Cape Haze Pioneer Trail Park at parking area. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1688 Gasparilla Road, Port Charlotte FL 33981, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Placida Bunk House (a few steps from this marker); Myakka River Civil War Skirmish (approx. 2.7 miles away); Southland Trail Cemetery (approx. 5 miles away); The Cookie House (approx. 6.9 miles away); Bass Biological Labs/Cookie House (approx. 7.3 miles away); Murdock (approx. 7.4 miles away); First White Man Dies in America (approx. 8 miles away); Juan Ponce de Leon (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Charlotte.
 
Town of McCall Marker from parking area looking toward the Placida Bunk House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, July 8, 2020
2. Town of McCall Marker from parking area looking toward the Placida Bunk House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 12, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152664

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024