Sonoma in Sonoma County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected in 1836 by General H. G. Vallejo. Headquarters of Bear Flag Party which on June 14, 1846 proclaimed a “California Republic” and raised the Bear Flag on Sonoma’s Plaza. Twenty three days later, July 7, 1846, Commodore John Drake Sloat, representing the United States Government, took possession of California. In April 1847, Stevenson’s regiment, Company “G” U.S.A. occupied the barracks.
Erected 1937 by Historical Landmarks Committee, Native Sons of the Golden West. (Marker Number 316.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, Mexican-American. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, the National Historic Landmarks, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1847.
Location. 38° 17.62′ N, 122° 27.397′ W. Marker is in Sonoma, California, in Sonoma County. Marker can be reached from East Spain Street near First Street East. Marker is mounted on the building facing East Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sonoma CA 95476, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Toscano Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); The End of the Mission Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Mission San Francisco Solano Sacred Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Raising of the Bear Flag (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Toscano Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Sonoma State Historic Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Mission San Francisco Solano (within shouting distance of this marker); Servants Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sonoma.
Regarding Sonoma Barracks.
The two-story, wide-balconied, adobe barracks facing Sonoma's central plaza was built to house Mexican army troops under the command of General Vallejo. These troops first arrived in Sonoma in 1834 when Vallejo, then the Commandant of the Presidio at San Francisco, was instructed to move his garrison to Sonoma. From then until 1846, Sonoma was the headquarters of the commandant of the Frontera del Norte - the Mexican provincial frontier of the north. Actual construction of the adobe barracks
This site was designated California Historical Landmark No. 316 on July 12, 1939.
Also see . . .
1. The Sonoma Barracks. "Military Museum" entry (Submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
2. Sonoma Barracks. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on December 11, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
3. Sonoma State Historic Park. The historic, picturesque town of Sonoma is located in the heart of the beautiful Wine Country between Napa and Santa Rosa off Highway 12. Situated around a central plaza (the largest of its kind in California) filled with charming shops and restaurants, the city is home to Sonoma State Historic Park—site of the northernmost Franciscan Mission in California and birthplace of the California State Bear Flag. (Submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
4. Sonoma State Historic Park. (Submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
1. The Barracks
This Monterey Colonial, two-story adobe was built by Indian labor under the direction of Gen. Vallejo for use as Mexican Troop Headquarters. English settler Mark West served as contractor.
The Barracks was used by Vallejo in the 1850’s as a winery. It was also used as a print shop and an experimental laboratory for raising silkworms. Solomon Schocken bought it on June 15, 1878 for a general merchandising store, using the top floor for his home. In August, 1880, Frederick Clewe leased the store for $50. Later, the building was used as a saloon, a shop and law offices. In 1935, Walter L. Murphy, editor and publisher of the Sonoma Index-Tribune, bought the Barracks and refurbished the second floor for his family. The first floor was rented out for offices and other uses.
The State purchased the building in late 1950s. Formerly a prime example of adobe construction of the late 1830s, the building has been reconstructed with steel reinforcements by the State.
Source: Sonoma Walking Tour Brochure
— Submitted January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,125 times since then and 112 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 9. submitted on June 23, 2022, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. 10. submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 11, 12. submitted on June 23, 2022, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. 13. submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.