Basalt in Eagle County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Colorado Midland Depot
Basalt History Tour
Constructed in 1886, the Railroad Depot was the first passenger loading area and mail station in the central valley. Many a newly arrived resident spent their first night on the benches of the depot. As the transportation hub of the valley and the location of Basalt's main industry, the Depot was a source of pride and the center of the town.
In 1892 a fire devastated the western end of town, completely destroying the depot, which was quickly rebuilt. In the large, slightly hazy photo of the new depot, notice that there are signs on the doors for the ladies' and gents' separate waiting rooms, and some female passengers visible in the window on the left.
By 1919 the railroad departed Basalt and the Depot, starting the quiet years. To allow for streets to be added, the building was moved 80 feet to the southeast where you stand today. From 1930, the building has been repurposed as an International Harvester dealership; a cheese factory; a liquor store; "Swede's Standard Garage,”
Top right: Looking across depot to stores, circa 1895
Bottom right: One of the Depot's many lives
Erected by Basalt Regional Heritage Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 39° 22.137′ N, 107° 2.022′ W. Marker is in Basalt, Colorado, in Eagle County. Marker is on Midland Avenue east of Midland Spur, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 137 Midland Ave, Basalt CO 81621, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Colorado Midland Depot (here, next to this marker); Colorado Midland Railway (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to the Basalt History Tour (within shouting distance of this marker); The Snell Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Splendid Spud (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); On the Way to Janeway (approx. 13 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 16, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.