Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Aledo in Parker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Aledo

 
 
City of Aledo Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 11, 2020
1. City of Aledo Marker
Inscription.  In 1849, the U. S. Army built Fort Worth to establish a line of defense against Indian raids and also to protect Indian lands from settlement. By 1855, farms, ranches and small settlements dotted eastern Parker County and the frontier encroached into hunting lands inhabited for years by Comanche and Kiowa tribes. By 1856, sufficient settlement had taken place and Parker County was created. When the Texas and Pacific Railroad laid tracks in 1879, the community of Aledo was established. At first, the community was known as Parker Station, but was changed in 1882 to Aledo, named after Aledo, Illinois, the hometown of a railroad official.

By the beginning of the 20th century, Aledo was the commercial center of east Parker County with business development near the train station and along north and south Front Streets. There were two water-powered mills in operation near Aledo. The transcontinental Bankhead Highway bypassed downtown Aledo in the 1920s, but the route currently establishes the northern boundary of the future city limits of the City of Aledo.

By 1960, Aledo was growing because engineers and professionals from the
City of Aledo Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 11, 2020
2. City of Aledo Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
bomber plant in Fort Worth wanted to live in a small community. On May 8, 1963, Aledo was incorporated as a city with 550 residents. The initial city government in 1963 consisted of Mayor Robert Daugherty and commissioners Felix Reynolds and Joe Whitmire. Citizens Jack Holt and Dub Bearden were also principal promoters to have Aledo recognized as a city. Since then, Aledo has continued to grow and prosper as reflected in its slogan, “Rich Heritage, Dynamic Future.”
 
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17978.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
 
Location. 32° 41.792′ N, 97° 36.155′ W. Marker is in Aledo, Texas, in Parker County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 1187 and Elm Street, on the right when traveling north on Road 1187. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 128 Elm Street, Aledo TX 76008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Aledo (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Aledo United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Bankhead Highway in Aledo (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hood Family Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Annetta Cemetery
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 4.4 miles away); Lawson Daniel Gratz (approx. 5.4 miles away); Isaac Parker (approx. 7.8 miles away); James M. Benbrook (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aledo.
 
Also see . . .  Aledo, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 17, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152962

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 21, 2022