Near Huddleston in Bedford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Moody Meeting House
Constructed of logs, the Meeting House measured approximately 30 x 18 feet and rested on a stone foundation. The Church developed from Baptist Congregations in Franklin County dated to 1787.
In 1843, Daniel Saunders deeded “one acre and 30 poles” to the Baptist Society meeting at the Moody Meeting House. It was relocated in 1877 to Pleasant Grove School and in 1884 to the present site of Staunton Baptist Church.
The Strawberry Baptist Association met here on October 2, 1802, and dedicated this commemorative marker on May 20, 1984.
Erected 1984 by The Strawberry Baptist Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 37° 5.843′ N, 79° 36.399′ W. Marker is near HuddlestonTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huddleston VA 24104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smith Mountain Lake (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Smith Mountain Lake (approx. 4.7 miles away); Smith Mountain Project (approx. 6.1 miles away); Carry Me Home (approx. 6.9 miles away); Jack-O-Lantern Branch Trail (approx. 6.9 miles away); Freed Here, At Last (approx. 7 miles away); How Tobacco Farms Used Slavery (approx. 7 miles away); Slavery on the Plantation (approx. 7.1 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is in front of stones which appear to be the foundation of the old Meeting House.
Also see . . . The History of the Staunton Baptist Church. (Submitted on July 18, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2020, by Patricia Strat of Oakton, Virginia. This page has been viewed 30 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 18, 2020, by Patricia Strat of Oakton, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.