Weaverville in Trinity County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Carr Building
John Carr and his partners came to Weaverville in the spring of 1851. Carr was a blacksmith and realized immediately the need to set up shop. He did so, on this site. John Carr became known as "Vulcan” and established the first blacksmith shop in Trinity County. He roofed the pole structure with cow hides to get the shade he needed to keep the right heat on the iron. In 1856, after many town fires, Carr built a brick building to replace the hides and in may, 1857, leased it to James Hamilton to be used as saloon and billiard parlor. In late 1857, the business was sold to Frank and John Young and was known as the Bank Exchange Saloon. The fire of 1863 gutted the building. The building was rebuilt and Frank Young continued the Bank Exchange Saloon. Carr sold to William Todd in 1875. The building had a succession of owners until sold to Trinity County in 1917, to be used as the new free library. It remained the county library until 1992. The building again had a succession of owners until it once again was purchased to house the New York Saloon in 2015.
Dedicated November 4, 2017, by the Trinitarianus Chapter #62
Erected 2017 by Trinitarianus Chapter 62, E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 40° 44′ N, 122° 56.434′ W. Marker is in Weaverville, California, in Trinity County. Marker is on Main Street (Route 299) north of Trinity Lake Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Weaverville CA 96093, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New York Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Weaverville Drug Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Weaverville / Mountain Charlie (within shouting distance of this marker); Clifford Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Spiral Staircases (within shouting distance of this marker); I.O.O.F. Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); E Clampus Vitus 1855 & 1962 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Weaverville Bandstand (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weaverville.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2020, by Steven Armstrong of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2020, by Steven Armstrong of Sacramento, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.