Blockhouses & Palisades
The palisades were costly to maintain and were removed in 1873 because of damage due to wind and rot. The Civilian Conservation Corps rebuilt the blockhouses and palisades in 1935, but the palisades were dismantled again because of the same problems.
Soldiers can see for miles from the safety of the blockhouses. These buildings served as both observation posts and defensive fortifications. They also provided holding areas for prisoners and, at one point, were used as scouts’ quarters.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles.
Location. 46° 46.173′ N, 100° 51.251′ W. Marker is near Mandan, North Dakota, in Morton County. Marker can be reached from Fort Lincoln Road, on the right when traveling south. Located at Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4480 Fort Lincoln Rd, Mandan ND 58554, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings • Can you help?