Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Moulton in Lawrence County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Pine Torch Church

 
 
Pine Torch Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton
1. Pine Torch Church Marker
Inscription.  In the early 1800s, settlers of Scots-Irish and Indian ancestry begin moving into this area. These mountain people homesteaded small tracts of property on public domain lands of poor sandy soil and rugged terrain. According to tradition, the old church was built as a house of worship for the local community which by 1915 was known as Europe. England, Bolan, Payne, and Nicholson families moved the building here from Holmes Chapel. The church consisted of one room 24 by 27 feet logs hand-hewn by Bud Holmes, Josh England, Jim Nicholson, Dick Payne and others. The original floor was made of hand-hewn planks of poplar as wide as 48 inches. Beginning around 1920, the original flooring was stolen over a period of years; therefore, a new floor was built about 1940. The roof was made of hand split wooden shingles, which were later replaced with tin. The first pews were hewn from solid slabs of poplar trees: Pine Torch got its name from the blazing pine knots that were used to light the church services after dark. After services, the pine knots were used to light the way home. Some say the old building was also used as a one-room school.
Pine Torch Church church, marker and cemetery. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton
2. Pine Torch Church church, marker and cemetery.
Today, Pine Torch is considered to be the oldest standing structure in Bankhead Forest with decoration day the 4th Sunday in May.
 
Erected by Lawrence County Historical Commission, Inc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 34° 19.308′ N, 87° 17.966′ W. Marker is near Moulton, Alabama, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 70 and County Road 73, on the right when traveling south on County Road 70. Located within Bankhead National Forest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2067 Co Rd 70, Moulton AL 35650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birds of North Alabama (approx. 2.8 miles away); A Significant Forest (approx. 2.8 miles away); Explore the Forest (approx. 2.8 miles away); Warrior Mountains (approx. 2.8 miles away); Cheatham Road (approx. 6.7 miles away); Looney’s Tavern (approx. 8 miles away); General Leroy Pope Walker (approx. 10.6 miles away); Judge Thomas M. Peters (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moulton.
 
Additional comments.
1. Foundation stones being stolen.
Thieves have been stealing the foundation stones of
View of inside of church. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton
3. View of inside of church.
this historic church. The marker refers to the theft of the floor boards starting in the 1920's and in 2019 someone started taking the foundation stones. Work is planned to use sandstone to shore up the church.
    — Submitted July 20, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 20, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 6, 2021