Hereford in Deaf Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hereford High School
In 1898, a relocated frame schoolhouse served students of Hereford. New buildings came as attendance increased, and in 1916 the school board converted the former Hereford Christian College building into a high school. Rural school consolidation led to more students and a successful $125,000 bond issue for a new high school in 1925. E. F. Rittenberry was architect and George Parr was contractor for this three-story brick and cast stone building featuring prominent Collegiate Gothic style entrances and finials. The building has served as Hereford High School (1926-1954), Stanton Junior High (1954-1988) - named for the first junior high principal H. V. Stanton - and as Stanton Learning Center.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2009
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16007.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 34° 49.344′ N, 102° 23.764′ W. Marker is in Hereford, Texas Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 711 East Park Avenue, Hereford TX 79045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quanah Parker Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Hereford Christian College (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Thompson House (approx. ¼ mile away); Ghost Towns (approx. 0.3 miles away); Two-Wheel Fire Hose Reel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Former Site of St. Anthony's Catholic School (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Deaf Smith Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hereford.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2020. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 116 times this year. Last updated on July 20, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 24, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.