Gay in Keweenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Historic Town of Gay
Erected by Sherman Township.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 47° 13.629′ N, 88° 9.799′ W. Marker is in Gay, Michigan, in Keweenaw County. Marker is on 2nd Street (Gay Lac La Belle Road) east of Lake Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located near the pull-out and parking area on the south side of the Gay Schoolhouse Historical Museum. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake Linden MI 49945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gay Schoolhouse Historical Museum (a few steps from this marker); New Snowfall Record 390.4 Inches (approx. 11.2 miles away); The Delaware Mine (approx. 14 miles away); Eagle River (approx. 14.2 miles away); Douglass Houghton (approx. 14.2 miles away); Joseph Blight, Sr. (approx. 14.2 miles away); a different marker also named Douglass Houghton (approx. 14.3 miles away); Lake Shore Drive Bridge / Eagle River (approx. 14.3 miles away).
Related markers.list of markers that are related to this marker. The Historic School at Gay, Michigan
Also see . . .
1. Gay, Michigan (Wikipedia). The Mohawk Mining Company built a stamp mill in Gay in 1898. The residual stamp sand dumped into Lake Superior increased the town's area greatly. Today, only the large smokestack and the ruins from the stamp mill remain. The town was named after Joseph E. Gay, one of the founders of the Mohawk and Wolverine Mining Companies. (Submitted on July 20, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Mohawk Mining Company (Wikipedia). Between 1906 and 1932, the Mohawk Mining Company paid out more than $15 million in shareholder dividends. The Mohawk stamp mill began construction in 1901 and started operation in December 1902. The mill's equipment included three sets of stamps and three sets of auxiliary crushing rolls. The stamps each had a capacity of 500 tons daily. (Submitted on July 20, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 101 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 20, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.