History of Leighton United Methodist Church
The region's rich history of Methodism predates the creation of Colbert County. Local Methodists helped raise $10,000 to persuade the Tennessee Methodist Conference to build LaGrange College (4 miles SW), which opened in 1830. In 1837, William Leigh donated an acre lot on County Line Rd. in Leighton for construction of a brick building to be used as a meeting place by local denominations and the Masons.
By 1902, under the leadership of Rev. J.A. Brock, and with a membership of 168, the congregation of Leighton Methodist Episcopal Church, South, elected to build a new church on this lot. The building committee consisted of Thos. Lile, Claude King, F.R. King, J.H. Hall, D.L. Spangler, and J.A. Lindsey. Architects J.B. Carr & Co. of Birmingham designed the 400-seat sanctuary, which featured an elevated choir alcove, Sabbath school rooms, and a pastor's study. Construction began in May 1903. The marble cornerstone (donated by a Georgia firm) was laid on Sept. 14, 1903. The church was completed at a basic cost of $6,200. The Ladies Aid Society raised additional funds to purchase curved cathedral pews
A fellowship hall was added in 1939 during the pastorate of Rev. Marvin Heflin. George H. Gibbens placed the beautiful wooden carvings above the altar in 1966. The Emmitt King home next door was given as a parsonage and later became the church's family life center. Mildred Fennel Preuit donated a lot for the next parsonage.
The name of the church was changed to Leighton Methodist Church in 1939 and to Leighton United Methodist Church in 1968. The centennial celebration, held on June 22, 2003, was a great event with ringing of the old bell, worship, and lunch.
Erected 2019 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 34° 41.96′ N, 87° 31.748′ W. Marker is in Leighton, Alabama, in Colbert County. Marker is on Main Street 0.1 miles south of 1st Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8655 Main St, Leighton AL 35646, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of Leighton (approx. ¼ mile away); LaGrange College (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named LaGrange College (approx. 3.2 miles away); LaGrange Military Academy (approx. 3.3 miles away); William Leigh (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Old Brick Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); Howell & Graves School (approx. 6½ miles away); History of Muscle Shoals, Alabama (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leighton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.