Cortez in Montezuma County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
E.R. Lamb Mercantile
The store was advertised "as replete with a full line of furniture, general merchandise, millinery, drugs, paints, oils, and building materials.” Starting in the 1920's, a number of businesses operated from the building including Moffitt Stores, Barrett Furniture and Rich's Townshoppe. Building materials include a combination of frame-brick, stucco and pressed metal which were characteristic of late 19th century commercial expressionism. The pressed metal front facade was shipped by train and wagon from St. Louis, Missouri and is still in good condition.
Caption: Since 1986 the building has been the home of the Cortez CU Center.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 37° 20.952′ N, 108° 35.123′ W. Marker is in Cortez, Colorado, in Montezuma County. Marker is on North Market Street north of Main Street (U.S. 160), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 North Market Street, Cortez CO 81321, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Wilson (Stone Block) Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Office Outpost (J.C. Penney Building) (within shouting distance of this marker); Montezuma Valley National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Cortez Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Duff Mercantile (within shouting distance of this marker); Cortez Travel (Duncan Beauty Shop) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marshal W.G. Clucas Residence (about 300 feet away); Citizens State Bank (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cortez.
Also see . . . Cortez Historic Buildings Survey Phase III. City of Cortez entry (Submitted on November 15, 2020, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
1. E. R. Lamb Mercantile Architectural History
From Cortez Historic Buildings Survey - Phase III
The Lamb Building (5MT6924) at 25 North Market Street was constructed in 1909. While the first floor and sides of the building no longer retain the original historic configuration, the building still offers a hint of the typical late 19th century commercial building designs, which are typically two or three stories in height, with a flat roof and a variety of ornamental detailing. The first floor of the Lamb Building no longer retains any of its original architectural features, but the second story has a few of the elements typical of the style, including the historic cast iron facade with an elaborate roofline cornice and an ornate secondary cornice separating the two stories. The pressed iron storefront on the upper floor of the building would have been shipped to Cortez from a factory in the Midwest.
— Submitted November 15, 2020, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.