Windsor's Historically Important Families
Robert Cunningham, his wife, Isabella, and daughter Mary Jane, were some of Windsor's earliest homesteaders. Mr. Cunningham was a successful farmer who built the first corral - a site which was used by American and Spanish settlers for branding livestock. The Cunningham family helped build Windsor's earliest public structures such as the school and Methodist Church.
The Hembree family arrived in Windsor in 1860, and were active in Windsor's early commercial development in the late 1880's, following completion of the San Francisco and North Pacific Railroad.
Across the street from the Bell Ranch House, at 295 Windsor River Road is the David H. DuVander Home. This house was built in the late 1800s and was the residence of Mr. DuVander, a merchant in Windsor, who was responsible for bringing the first branch of Exchange Bank to Windsor.
The Bell Ranch House, a large two story residence designed with the influence of Greek Revival architecture, was constructed in 1860 by Mr. Henry Bell. One of the first settlers in Windsor, Mr. Bell owned
The first Hembree house in the 1870s led to...
...this house built in 1931, which now houses the Windsor History Museum.
Erected by Town of Windsor.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 38° 32.935′ N, 122° 48.933′ W. Marker is in Windsor, California, in Sonoma County. Marker can be reached from McClelland Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Windsor CA 95492, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. East Windsor: The First Gathering Place (a few steps from this marker); West Windsor: The New Gathering Place (a few steps from this marker); Early Windsor's People: The Southern Pomo (a few steps from this marker); Nature and Agriculture (within shouting distance of this marker); Historical Events from the 20th Century (within shouting distance of this marker); Present Day Windsor (within shouting distance of this marker);
More about this marker. The marker is located in the middle of the Windsor Town Green.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 27, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.