Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Grand Prairie in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Avion Village

 
 
Avion Village Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kayla Harper, July 26, 2020
1. Avion Village Marker
Inscription.  

As early as the mid-1940s, housing was scarce in Dallas as well as in other centers of defense production and military activity throughout the nation. The private housing industry was unable to keep up with the demand for shelter in these areas. Some federal officials saw the situation as an opportunity for experimentation in architecture and planning, as well as establishment of a pilot program aimed at lowering the cost of quality housing through the use of prefabrication and mass production building techniques. Defense housing officials also wanted to introduce industrial workers to mutual home ownership as an alternative to traditional suburban home ownership.

Avion Village was one of several early developments intended to be permanent additions to community housing stock. The facility's layout promoted both privacy and resident interaction. Built under the auspices of the Federal Works Agency and its assistant administrator, Texas native Lawrence Westbrook, the facilities were designed by Roscoe DeWitt and David R. Williams in cooperation with Richard J. Neutra. Avion Village was launched amid high media attention in May
Avion Village Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kayla Harper, July 26, 2020
2. Avion Village Marker
1941 as two teams of workers raced to complete the first house in the planned 300-unit development. The first unit was built in less than one hour. The entire development was finished in 100 days with the help of an on-site makeshift prefabrication plant. Civilian employees of the North American Aviation Company were the first to live in the complex.

The Avion Village Mutual Housing Corporation purchased the development from the federal government in 1948. Avion Village continues to be mutually owned by residents.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11818.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceMilitary.
 
Location. 32° 44.112′ N, 96° 59.552′ W. Marker is in Grand Prairie, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Avion Parkway, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Prairie TX 75051, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Southland Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dr. H.V. Copeland Home (approx. 0.9 miles away); Grand Prairie Airfield (approx. 1˝ miles away); LiveStone Lodge No. 152, F. & A. M. (approx. 2 miles away); Hensley Field (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
2.1 miles away); Jordan-Bowles House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Jordan-Hight Family Cemetery (approx. 2˝ miles away); Dallas Baptist University (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Prairie.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 28, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021