Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Dalton in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The McCarty Subdivision

 
 
The McCarty Subdivision Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 25, 2002
1. The McCarty Subdivision Marker
Inscription.  John B. McCarty began laying out a neighborhood here in 1928. By 1950, influential Dalton residents had established one of the city’s earliest subdivisions using New South landscaping. Tudor Revival, Colonial Revival, and Minimal Traditional architectural styles popular in Georgia at the time. This neighborhood housed residents who pioneered and maintained the Dalton textile and carpet industry whose products are used world-wide. McCarty himself was founder of Dalton Spread Laundry, a key business in the evolution of the carpet industry.
 
Erected 2002 by The Georgia Historical Society and the City of Dalton. (Marker Number 155-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 34° 45.677′ N, 84° 58.37′ W. Marker was
The McCarty Neighborhood Marker prior to dedication. image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 30, 2008
2. The McCarty Neighborhood Marker prior to dedication.
This marker replaced "The McCarty Subdivision" marker. It reads,
William Scott and Frances Brown McCarty began laying out a neighborhood here in 1927. By 1950, influential Dalton residents had established one of the city's earliest subdivision. McCarty residents pioneered and maintained the Dalton textile and carpet industry whose products are used worldwide. Long-time residents and sons of the neighborhood's founders, John Brown McCarty co-founded Star Dye Company with Clarence Shaw in the mid-1940s, and Frank Brown McCarty founded McCarty Chenille in the 1940s, became manufacturing vice president at Barwick Mills during the 1950s, helped establish E&B Carpets in the 1960s, and mentored others in the industry.
in Dalton, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker was at the intersection of West Walnut Avenue (Georgia Route 52) and Willow Park Drive, on the right when traveling east on West Walnut Avenue. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Dalton GA 30720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The McCarty Neighborhood (here, next to this marker); The Blunt House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dalton Confederate Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dalton Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Campaign for Atlanta: Johnston's Review (approx. 0.6 miles away); George Whitefield (approx. ¾ mile away); Joseph E. Johnston Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dalton.
 
More about this marker. The marker was removed in early 2008, replaced by a new Georgia Historical Society marker titled "The McCarty Neighborhood." The new marker, numbered 151-3 in error, has a slightly different text with more detailed information on John McCarty's background. It should have been numbered 155-3.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 789 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 8, 2020