The George Kuhlman House
The house was most noted for its Italianate architectural features, it was made a part of the “New Ulm Commercial District” in 2015. The window treatments showed a full arch on the ground floor, and segmental arches on the second floor. The front door repeated the theme with a full arch transom. There were also hood molds with a keystone above the windows. The cornice line was broken by a slight T corbelling and raised, decorative brickwork done in a triangular pattern. Curiously, there was no internal staircase to the top floor, indicating that have been built with an upstairs apartment in mind, to be accessed through an external staircase (see photo above).
Some of the occupants of the home after Albert Blanchard included Brooklyn Blanchard, and Martha Hornburg (ca 1911/1912); Hannah Cook, Minnie Gleason, William Mather (ca 1909); AJ Frenzel (ca 1911/1912); WB Greg (ca 1913); FP Starr (ca. 1913-1918); Dr. H.C. Edmiston (ca 1921); Arthur Teynor (ca early 1920s-mid-1950s). In the mid-1950s, Dr. Otto Fesenmeier had his medical practice on the ground level until the late 1960s. Later tenants included businesses such as insurance agents, a proper chiropractic clinic, and a beauty and barber salon. The law firm of Berens, Rodenberg and O’Connor became the last owners.
A private developer attempted to save the house by moving it offsite and to develop it as a residential and commercial property. However, moving the house disqualified it for tax credits and low interest loans, which made it financially and feasible. The house was demolished in late 2016 to allow for a new bank complex on the site. The house was an example of New Ulm’s downtown look from the 1800s, despite the many so the subsequent uses for the building.
Erected 2017 by Bank Midwest.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
Location. 44° 18.77′ N, 94° 27.568′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Minnesota
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S. Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); City Meat Market (within shouting distance of this marker); Guardians of the Past (within shouting distance of this marker); Brown County Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boesch, Hummel, and Maltzahn Block (about 300 feet away); Somsen Hitching Post (about 500 feet away); Arbeiter Hall (about 500 feet away); Two Battles of New Ulm (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Ulm.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 33 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 28, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.