Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dallas Baptist University
(Decatur Baptist College)
Closely linked to Northwest Baptist College, which operated from 1891 to 1897, Decatur Baptist College opened its doors in 1898. The college was the result of an effort by Texas Baptist leaders to consolidate all Texas Baptist Schools under the direction of Baylor University and the Baptist General Convention of Texas.
The college, which initially served primary and secondary school students in addition to the junior college program, had an enrollment of 105 in the fall of 1898. J. L. Ward, president of the college from 1900 to 1907 and 1914 to 1950, was most influential in the development and expansion of the college. By 1959 the school offered courses in religion, fine arts, business, languages, and vocational training.
Increasing financial challenges and decreasing enrollment led the college to accept an invitation to move to Dallas. The school's name was changed to Dallas Baptist College in February 1965; its first classes were held that fall, with an enrollment of 941.
The college became a four-year institution in 1968. Renamed Dallas Baptist University in 1985, the school began awarding graduate degrees in
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11821.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 32° 42.493′ N, 96° 56.886′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on North Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling south. The marker is to the right of the main entrance to the Hillcrest Great Hall building on campus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3000 Mountain Creek Parkway, Dallas TX 75211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Shelby Wisdom (approx. 2.4 miles away); Hensley Field (approx. 2.7 miles away); Avion Village (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Hord Log Cabin (approx. 3.3 miles away); Jordan-Bowles House (approx. 3½ miles away); Jordan-Hight Family Cemetery (approx. 3½ miles away); Old Southland CemeteryFive Mile Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 28, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.