Mobeetie in Wheeler County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Rock House
First substantial home in Wheeler County, built across creek from Hidetown, buffalo hunter's post, about 1875 for first sheriff Henry Fleming. Rock quarried nearby. Ell of four 14 foot square rooms. Was considered a mansion. Served the county until a courthouse could be built.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1912.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 35° 29.646′ N, 100° 25.427′ W. Marker is in Mobeetie, Texas, in Wheeler County. Marker can be reached from unamed road one mile south of County Road 6. This marker is on private property. Mrs. Van Zandt was a gracious host and has a wealth of knowledge about the house and surrounding area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mobeetie TX 79061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mobeetie Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Old Wheeler County Jail, 1886 (approx. 1˝ miles away); Temple Lea Houston (approx. 1˝ miles away); Fort Elliot Flagpole (approx. 1˝ miles away); Frank Willis, Sr. (approx. 1˝ miles away); Captain G. W. Arrington (approx. 1˝ miles away); Emanuel Dubbs (approx. 1˝ miles away); Mobeetie (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mobeetie.
Regarding Old Rock House. The Texas Historical Commission Atlas shows the marker text as the following, which may have been from a different version of this marker:
First permanent dwelling in this region. Built in 1870 by Henry Fleming, first sheriff in the Panhandle, who held court here until courthouse was built. Constructed of native stone. Foundations made by digging trench in ground and placing large rocks to make walls 18 inches thick, 10 feet high. (1964)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on July 29, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?