Near Canyon in Randall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Old JA Ranch
In 1877, Goodnight in partnership with Englishman John Adair moved farther down the canyon to lay out headquarters of the JA Ranch. This pioneer venture became one of the greatest cattle operations in the world, taking in more than a million acres of land and grazing 101,023 head of cattle.
Goodnight had became acquainted with the Palo Duro as a scout and guide for Texas Rangers during the Civil War. He knew that the canyon, fenced in by the overhanging caprock, was an ideal spot for a ranch: it furnished water and shelter in the winter and the adjacent plains provided ideal grazing in the summer.
Upper division of this ranch (the park area) was reserved for the purebred, or JJ herd. The vast lower end of the JA was ranged by longhorns - gradually being improved by better blood.
In 1887 the Goodnight-Adair partnership was ended. Adair retained the JA which, in the hands of his heirs, is still one of the great ranches of Texas.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Animals. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 34° 59.061′ N, 101° 42.084′ W. Marker is near Canyon, Texas, in Randall County. Marker is on State Hwy Park Road 5 south of Texas Highway 217, on the left when traveling south. The marker is on the east side of the parking lot at the entrance station to Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canyon TX 79015, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Civilian Conservation Corps at Palo Duro Canyon State Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); High Water Mark (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Battle of Palo Duro Canyon (approx. 5.2 miles away); St. Paul Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away); Palisades State Park Concession Building (approx. 8.2 miles away); Co. F, 2nd Bn., 142nd Inf., 36th Div., Texas National Guard (approx. 11.6 miles away); Site of an Early Barbed Wire Fence in the Panhandle (approx. 11.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canyon.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2015. This page has been viewed 418 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on July 29, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on December 13, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 2. submitted on July 29, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. 3. submitted on December 13, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4. submitted on July 29, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. 5. submitted on December 13, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.