Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marion in Guadalupe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Marion State Bank

 
 
Marion State Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, July 28, 2020
1. Marion State Bank Marker
Inscription.  The town of Marion began in the 1870s as a marketing and shipping point on the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio rail line. It grew steadily and, in the early twentieth century, began to develop as an important commercial center for the area. A cotton gin opened in 1904, followed soon by an electric plant and a telephone company. As part of that progress, Marion State Bank received a charter on October 26, 1906. H.D. Dreyer served as the first president, with Dr. Louis Hirschfeld as vice president and Henry Wimmer as cashier and secretary; all were directors. The other initial directors were L. Kuehler, W.J. Schneider and Arlon B. Davis.

Marion State Bank began operation in the first floor rear area of the H.D. Dreyer building, which also housed the Waldorf Club, a local saloon. The bank purchased the property in 1910 and moved to the front part of the building. It remained at that site until 1987, when it relocated to new facilities here.

Marion State Bank was among the first state chartered banks in Texas, and it remains one of the state’s oldest community-based financial institutions. Throughout its history, it has
Marion State Bank Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, July 28, 2020
2. Marion State Bank Marker Area
Click or scan to see
this page online
been a key player in area development, serving Marion and nearby communities Zuehl, New Berlin and Santa Clara. The institution has paid dividends regularly to its investors over the years, even during the Great Depression.

Today, Marion State Bank serves as a reminder of the area’s early history, as well as its steady growth and development. As with its founding, the bank continues in service as a hometown institution.
 
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13610.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is October 26, 1906.
 
Location. 29° 34.225′ N, 98° 8.651′ W. Marker is in Marion, Texas, in Guadalupe County. Marker is at the intersection of West San Antonio Street (Farm to Market Road 78) and South Cunningham Street, on the right when traveling east on West San Antonio Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 W San Antonio St, Marion TX 78124, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Tondre Playhouse (approx. ¼ mile away); In Recognition (approx. ¼ mile away); Marion Public Schools (approx. ¼ mile away); Founding of Town of Marion, 1877 (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Paul Church (approx. 5 miles away);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Cibolo (approx. 5½ miles away); Schertz Historic Site (approx. 7 miles away); a different marker also named Schertz Historic Site (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 75 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 29, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=153960

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 18, 2022