Proudly proclaimed fireproof when it opened in 1894, this building was gutted in Rochester's greatest fire on February 6, 1904. The exterior walls were left standing and the granite building was reconstructed preserving the exterior details. In the 1980's, the building was restored after a period of neglect.
Behind you, on the convention center site, once stood the 12-story Commerce Building, the Granite's twin. The spacious convention center, designed by James Stewart Polshek, opened in 1985.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 43° 9.388′ N, 77° 36.538′ W. Marker is in Rochester, New York, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and St. Paul Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Located kitty-corner from the subject building,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Austin Steward 1793-1869 (a few steps from this marker); The Genesee River (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Erie Canal (about 300 feet away); Main Street Bridge (about 300 feet away); From Hunting Ground to City (about 400 feet away); Early Mills and Races (about 500 feet away); Front Street (about 500 feet away); Second Erie Canal Aqueduct (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rochester.
Regarding Granite Building. The Granite Building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2020, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 30, 2020, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.