Seguin in Guadalupe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Ranger Oaks
Before the first company of Texas Rangers were commissioned in 1837, the Gonzales Rangers, under the command of Capt. Matthew Caldwell, used this shady spot as a campground.
Jack "Coffee" Hays, a resident of Seguin and one of Texas' most illustrious Ranger commanders also camped in the shade of these trees. In 1840, Hays is believed to have been appointed a Captain of the first permanent Ranger Company. Under Ranger Jack Hays and James Callahan, a group of renegades and Indians were captured, brought to town, and forced to dig a trench in the area of the Ranger Oaks. The captives were then lined up and shot so their bodies fell into the trench, thus saving some trouble of the burial.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Landmarks. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
Location. 29° 34.172′ N, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seguin TX 78155, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Guadalupe County Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Seguin (about 700 feet away); Old Spanish Trail (about 700 feet away); Zuehl Family Fence (about 700 feet away); "White Way" Lighting (about 800 feet away); The Alfred H. Koebig Central Park Fountain (about 800 feet away); Guadalupe County, C.S.A. (about 800 feet away); Juan Nepomuceno Seguin (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seguin.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.