Claymont in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Church of the Ascension
The roots of this congregation can be traced to 1843 and the missionary efforts of Rev. Greenbury W. Ridgely and the Rt. Rev. Alfred Lee, who conducted services every other Sunday in the Claymont Stone School. The church was accepted into the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware as an organized congregation on May 28, 1851. The Rev. Ridgely was elected the first Rector. The first church was erected on property donated by the Rev. John B. Clemson, on the corner of Church Lane and Philadelphia Pike. It was consecrated by Bishop Lee on September 14, 1854. The building was moved across the street to its present location in 1927, and attached to the newly constructed stone parish hall. The church was named for the Church of the Ascension in New York City. It was one of the first churches to offer Sunday school to black children in the area.
As the congregation prospered in the 1960s under the leadership of the Rev. John C. Scobell, the church was enlarged. A new wing for Sunday school rooms and offices was also constructed. The sanctuary was further renovated with the addition of thirteen stained glass windows donated by parishioners between
Erected 2002 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-123.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1843.
Location. 39° 48.297′ N, 75° 27.232′ W. Marker is in Claymont, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Philadelphia Pike, 0.1 miles north of Darley Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3717 Philadelphia Pike, Claymont DE 19703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Darley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Claymont Stone School (within shouting distance of this marker); Archmere (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Honor of All Veterans (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Claymont High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robinson House (approx. ¾ mile away); Mother Catherine Rosarii (approx. ¾ mile away); Grubb / Worth Mansion (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Claymont.
Also see . . . Church of the Ascension website. (Submitted on December 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,274 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on August 1, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on May 31, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2. submitted on December 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.