Marlette in Sanilac County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Marlette District Library
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L713A.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Carnegie Libraries, and the Michigan Historical Commission series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1921.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3116 Main St, Marlette MI 48453, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Methodist Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Patrick's Church (approx. 5 miles away); North Branch Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.6 miles away); Pioneer Bank (approx. 8.8 miles away); Brown City Community Schools (approx. 8.9 miles away); Brown City Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.1 miles away); The Brown City Banner (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marlette.
Also see . . . Blog on the Marlette District Library. (Submitted on August 8, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills.)
1. The Origin of Marlette
Robert Stinson was the first person to claim government land in the area. In October, 1856, a committee of settlers petitioned the Sanilac County Board of Supervisors to allow the growing community to become a township. The name chosen was suggested by William Rudd, who found the name “Marlatt”
— Submitted August 8, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.