Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Marlette in Sanilac County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad Depot

 
 
Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, August 3, 2019
1. Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad Depot Marker
Inscription.  The first twenty-five miles of track for the Port Huron and Northwestern Railroad opened from Port Huron to Croswell in 1879. Marlette citizens lured the railroad by raising $15,000 toward construction of the tracks. The line extended from Saginaw Junction in St. Clair County to Marlette in January 1881, and the Marlette to Mayville line opened in the fall. The Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad purchased the Port Huron & Northwestern in 1889. Flint contractor E. M. Stewart built this depot in 1890 with a double waiting room, an office, and a baggage room. The Marlette Historical Society bought the building in 1999.
 
Erected 2001 by Michigan Historical Commission, Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L713A.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 43° 19.317′ N, 83° 4.753′ W. Marker is in Marlette, Michigan, in Sanilac County. Marker is at the intersection
Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad Depot and Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, August 3, 2019
2. Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad Depot and Historical Marker
of Main Street (Michigan Route 53) and Vail Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3325 Main Street, Marlette MI 48453, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Marlette District Library (approx. ¼ mile away).
 
Regarding Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad Depot. The railway was key to the economic growth of the Thumb’s agricultural business. By 1910, Marlette was a twice-a-day stop for passengers and freight between Port Huron and Saginaw. The United States Railway Administration nationalized America’s railways during World War I, so the Marlette depot saw service by sending freight and troops to fight in the Great War.

The last passenger service out of Marlette ended in 1936. In 2001, the depot was included in the State of Michigan Registry of Historic Places. With its restoration in 2006, the Marlette depot is now a favorite among train enthusiasts and photographers. It currently is open as an historical museum.
 
Also see . . .  Blog about the Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad Depot. (Submitted on August 8, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills.)
 
Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad Depot image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, August 3, 2019
3. Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad Depot
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 4, 2021