Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rosedale in Bolivar County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

To Memorialize Bolivar County's First Two Brick Courthouses

Prentiss 1858 - 1862 • Rosedale 1889 - 1923

 

— Historic Marker —

 
Historical Marker to Memorialize Bolivar County's First Two Brick Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 25, 2020
1. Historical Marker to Memorialize Bolivar County's First Two Brick Courthouses Marker
Inscription.  The town of Prentiss and courthouse were shelled by gunboats by Federals in 1862. Ruins, buried 100 years by river sand, exposed by caving bank 1954. Later caved into the river. The Memorial was made of bricks from Prentiss Courthouse Ruins. The cannonball came from the same source. Cornerstones came from the Rosedale Courthouse whose foundations were undermined by seep water from the Mississippi River. A new building replaced it in 1923.
 
Erected 1960 by Mississippi Delta Chapter, D.A.R.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
 
Location. 33° 51.243′ N, 91° 1.644′ W. Marker is in Rosedale, Mississippi, in Bolivar County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 1) and Dr Martin Luther King Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rosedale MS 38769, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rosedale (here, next to this marker); Rosedale Courthouse
Historical Marker to Memorialize Bolivar County's First Two Brick Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 25, 2020
2. Historical Marker to Memorialize Bolivar County's First Two Brick Courthouses Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(a few steps from this marker); Hot Tamales and the Blues (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mildrette Netter (approx. half a mile away); Otis Clay (approx. 5.7 miles away); Christmas Mound (approx. 6.4 miles away); Eddie Shaw (approx. 14.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rosedale.
 
Historical Marker to Memorialize Bolivar County's First Two Brick Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 25, 2020
3. Historical Marker to Memorialize Bolivar County's First Two Brick Courthouses Marker
Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 25, 2020
4. Courthouses Marker
D. Barnes, Commissioner E.H. Moore, Chairman Fred Clark, Court House John L. Gill, Commissioner J.F. Barnes, Builder J.K.Casner & Co. A.L. 5889 A.D. 1889 W.G. Paxton, G.M. R.J. Bartlett, Architect
Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 25, 2020
5. Courthouses Marker
(illegible) (illegible) C.Y. Scott (illegible) Walter Sillers Attorney for Board of Supervisors Bolivar County W.E. Ringo, President of the Board of Supervisors J.L. Hurley J.H. Maddox E.E. Vanmatre A.G. Smith Supervisors
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 17, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=154883

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 19, 2022