Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Rockwall in Rockwall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Church of Christ in Rockwall

 
 
The Church of Christ in Rockwall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kayla Harper, August 16, 2020
1. The Church of Christ in Rockwall Marker
Inscription.  

Before establishing an independent republic in 1836, Texas settlers were expected to support the Mexican state religion. As Mexico's rule waned, residents and new arrivals to Texas organized non-Catholic churches. Among them was "the church on horseback and wheels." A group of approximately 300 members traveling from Tennessee to Texas. Led by noted preacher and physician Mansil (Mansell) W. Matthews, the members were part of what became known as the American Restoration Movement, which launched the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and the Church of Christ.

Matthews' traveling church crossed into Texas at the Jonesborough crossing of the Red River on January 17, 1836 and became what is believed to be the first Church of Christ congregation in Texas. Matthews and his family moved to Rockwall in 1853. They only stayed a few years but during that time helped establish a local Church of Christ.

Beginning with the strong leadership of Matthews in 1853, Rockwall's Church of Christ congregation grew during the next century. Members built their first meeting place in 1880. In 1895, a disagreement began over the use of instrumental
The Church of Christ in Rockwall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kayla Harper, August 16, 2020
2. The Church of Christ in Rockwall Marker
music in worship, and the congregation split. The progressive faction became part of the Disciples of Christ and the conservative group formed a new Church of Christ congregation. Their first meetinghouse was completed in 1910. A later rift led to the formation of Lakeside Church of Christ, but the two groups later reunited in name, number and purpose. Known today as Eastridge Church of Christ, the congregation maintains the traditions of Texas' early religious pioneers through service, worship and study.
 
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13259.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 32° 55.681′ N, 96° 25.141′ W. Marker is in Rockwall, Texas, in Rockwall County. Marker can be reached from North Stodghill Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 670 N Stodghill Road, Rockwall TX 75087, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church of Rockwall (approx. 3.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Royse City (approx. 6.2 miles away); Chisholm Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away); Sterling Rex Barnes (approx. 7 miles away); Heath Methodist Church
Eastridge Church of Christ image. Click for full size.
By Kayla Harper, August 16, 2020
3. Eastridge Church of Christ
(approx. 7 miles away); Abston Cemetery (approx. 8.3 miles away); Empire Masonic Lodge No. 586 (approx. 8.3 miles away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church of Rowlett (approx. 8˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockwall.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 17, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021