Capac in St. Clair County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Capac's Early Railroad Depots/The Fourth Capac Depot
Capac's Early Railroad Depots
In 1870 the Port Huron and Lake Michigan Railroad Company, later the Grand Trunk Railroad, opened a rail line and depot in Capac. Judge Dewitt C. Walker, Capac's founder, later recalled that "the shrill noise of the locomotive whistle that first rang out upon the frozen air and re-echoed through the trees that surrounded the village ... heralded the advent of prosperity for this place." The Village of Capac was incorporated in 1873. By 1880 the community had a population of 544 people. Such local goods as timber, barrel staves and grain were shipped on the railroad. The first depot, built north of the tracks, burned down in 1880, and a second, brick depot was built south of the tracks. It was declared "unsafe" and replaced by a third depot north of the tracks in the 1890s.
The Fourth Capac Depot
After Capac's third railroad depot was destroyed by fire on January 9, 1914, the Grand Trunk Railroad Company built this wood-frame station north of the tracks, just south of Railroad Street. Opened on October 17, 1914, the station provided passenger and freight service. Its telegraph
Erected 2017 by Michigan Historical Commission—Michigan History Center. (Marker Number L2292.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 43° 1.002′ N, 82° 55.381′ W. Marker is in Capac, Michigan, in St. Clair County. Marker is on Kempf Court east of North Lester Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 East Kempf Court, Capac MI 48014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Soldiers and Sailors Boulder (approx. 0.3 miles away); Almont Society of the New Church (approx. 6.1 miles away); Cole United Methodist ChurchOur Lady of Mount Carmel Parish / John F. Farrell (approx. 8.2 miles away); Currier House (approx. 9 miles away); 101 South Main Street—Almont Fountain Park (approx. 9.1 miles away); Almont's Liberty Pole Dedicated (approx. 9.1 miles away); 102 South Main Street (approx. 9.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Thumb Depots: History of the Capac Depot Part 1. First article in a 4-part series about the Capac depots in The Lakeshore Guardian. (Submitted on August 20, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 20, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 20, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.