Near Paducah in Cottle County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Drought conditions in the early 1900s prompted local rancher W. Q. Richards in 1903-04 to subdivide land in this area into small farms complete with water wells. A farming community known as "Richards Colony" or "Dutch Colony" developed here. In 1906 a post office named "Chalk" was established and located in a general store opened by Richards earlier that year. In 1907 Richards established a cotton gin managed by James M. Chalk, who later served as postmaster in 1908-09.
A community school opened in 1914 and sanctuaries were constructed by the Church of Christ in 1916 and the Baptist congregation in 1922-23. By the early 1920s, 54 farms were operating in the area and Chalk's gin, stores, and other enterprises served as a mercantile and business center for southern Cottle County.
A steady exodus of people from the community began during World War II, and resulted in the school's closing and consolidation with the Paducah school system in 1942. Chalk's Church of Christ disbanded in 1944 and the Baptist Church ended services in 1969. Farming activity decreased and many residents, businesses, and institutions in Chalk moved
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 798.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 33° 52.662′ N, 100° 13.435′ W. Marker is near Paducah, Texas, in Cottle County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1278 0.8 miles east of Farm to Market Road 451. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paducah TX 79248, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Garden of Memories Cemetery (approx. 9.8 miles away); Emmett Martin (approx. 9.8 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 10.4 miles away); Cottle County Courthouse (approx. 10.4 miles away); The Gray and The Blue (approx. 10.4 miles away); Gober-Barron-Williford House (approx. 10˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 51 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 23, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.