Near Paducah in Cottle County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
CV Ranch and Cee Vee Community
The CV cattle brand was first registered in 1850 in McLennan County by Claiborne Varner. In 1856 his brother in law, J. Wes Sheek, and Sheek's stepbrother Charles Goodnight took the CV herd westward. Sheek bought Goodnight's portion of the herd in 1869, and later moved the cattle to Cottle County.
The CV Ranch was established in the northwest corner of Cottle County in the 1880s and originally contained 47,000 acres. The ranch became a large operation under various owners. By 1889 the CV Ranch was purchased by Mill Iron ranch owner Col. W. E. Hughes. The ranch house was located 65 yards west. Following Hughes' death in 1918, his granddaughter Annie C. S. Hughes divided 37,000 acres of the ranch into smaller farms and sold them in 1927-28.
The community of Cee Vee developed here and contained four stores, a blacksmith, barber shop, cafes, four churches, and a cotton gin. Cee Vee Mercantile store was located on this site. A post office was granted July 4, 1928. A school was built in 1929. By 1935 about 100 families had settled in Cee Vee. However, drought, the depression, and World War II caused many people to leave the
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 616.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 13.393′ N, 100° 26.875′ W. Marker is near Paducah, Texas, in Cottle County. Marker is on Ranch to Market Road 1440 8.4 miles west of U.S. 62, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paducah TX 79248, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Cee Vee Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 23, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.