Gloucester in Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom
Welcome to Llanthony Secunda Priory
A miracle of survival in a changing world
In its heyday, the Priory was home to 30 priests, called canons, and around 80 servants, employees and benefactors. It was a bustling economic hub, not just a place of prayer.
The canons had fled from their mother church, Llanthony Prima in Wales, escaping civil unrest and persecution. The community became so settled here that they refused to go back when danger had passed, even when ordered to by the Pope.
By 1205 Llanthony Secunda - the second house - had become independent.
The buildings and grounds here outside the city walls of Gloucester, originally covered 50 acres - only 5 acres remain today.
The inner precinct, with its church and cloisters, was the heart of the Priory. The service buildings, accommodation, gardens and a cemetery formed the outer precinct.
What you can see today are some of the remains of this outer precinct.
Llanthony Secunda Priory was important not only for the city of Gloucester, but for the whole
1136 - 1538 The community lived here for over 400 years, but was broken up by Henry VIII during the dissolution of the monasteries. The Priory was sold to a Gloucester 'gentleman' and former priory under-steward, Arthur Porter
1540 - 1642 The remaining buildings were adapted as housing and farm buildings, and the land was used for agriculture. The nave of the church was kept and became the parish church.
1642 - 1651 During nine years of civil war many of the buildings, including the church, were destroyed.
1651 - 1790 The land was then returned to agricultural use.
1790 - 1898 With the Industrial Revolution, the canal cut through the precinct and railways surrounded it. The farmstead remained and the Victorian farmhouse was built.
1898 - 1974 The site was used for various farming and industrial purposes. In the 1970s this included a scrap yard, despite being scheduled an Ancient Monument in 1949.
1974 - 2007 Gloucester City Council bought the site and began conservation work, before transferring owner-ship to the Llanthony Secunda Priory Trust.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 51° 51.629′ N, 2° 15.324′ W. Marker is in GloucesterTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gloucester, England GL2 5JQ, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. St Oswald's Anglo Saxon Minster and Medieval Priory (approx. 1.1 kilometers away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2020, by Ray Gurganus of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2020, by Ray Gurganus of Washington, District of Columbia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.