Houston in Chickasaw County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Okolona, Houston & Calhoun City Railroad
— (OH&CC) —
On April 20, 1933, the rail line was purchased by the Okolona, Houston & Calhoun City Railroad Company. The purchase was a rent to own agreement in which the new company would pay $75 per month for 76 months or a total of $5,700.
In addition to depots in Okolona and Calhoun City, the trains made scheduled stops at Van Vleet, Houston, Pyland, Vardaman and Derma. Unscheduled stops occurred at Kinney, Abernathy. Bacon, Neal, Wilkerson, Parkersburg, Buchanan's Crossing, Hall and Hollis. These were flag stops along the railroad route. If someone wanted to catch the train they simply flagged down the train and it would stop.
In spite of all efforts by the company, the OH&CC Railroad suffered the same fate as many other small railroads in the United States
Excerpts taken from, "The Railroad Cut, A brief history of the Okolona & Calhoun City Railroad", by Lamar Beaty, published in the Chickasaw Times Past, Vol. 30, No. 3, Fall 2012.
Okolona, Houston & Calhoun City Railroad depot at Calhoun City, Mississippi October 3, 1940. Photograph by C. William Witbeck. The tracks were gone and the depot had become a church building.
OHCC railroad work crew
Okolona, Houston & Calhoun City Railroad #9 4-6-0 Okolona, Mississippi
Train Schedule Board Calhoun City, Mississippi depot October 3, 1940. The chalked in train numbers and arrival times are long gone as are the tracks. There will be no more trails on the OH&CC.
Okolona, Houston & Calhoun City Railroad #184 4-6-0. Engine #184 sits long disused in Okolona, Mississippi on May 3, 1940 The engine was built by Rogers Locomotive Works in August 1900 as Mobile & Ohio #184 and had been purchased by the OH&CC on May 16, 1933 for $3,000. The locomotive was scrapped soon after this photograph was made.
Okolona, Houston & Calhoun City Railroad Railbus 139. This passenger railbus was reportedly acquired by the OH&CC in 1934 and had been built by the Jackson, Tennessee shops of the Mobile & Ohio Railroad from a old Greyhound bus.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 33° 53.503′ N, 88° 59.654′ W. Marker is in Houston, Mississippi, in Chickasaw County. Marker is on Woodland Circle north of Starkville Road, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located outside the Chickasaw County Heritage Museum in Joe Brigance Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 446 Woodland Circle, Houston MS 38851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Booker "Bukka" White (within shouting distance of this marker); 1927 Schoolhouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Light Columns (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chickasaw County CSA Monument (approx. half a mile away); Pinson Square (approx. half a mile away); Natchez Trace Through Chickasaw County (approx. half a mile away); Chickasaw County Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Carnegie Library (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Also see . . .
1. Okolona to Calhoun City, MS. Abandoned Rails (Submitted on August 26, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
2. Okolona, Houston & Calhoun City Railway. Mississippi Rails (Submitted on August 26, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.