Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Ferndale in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ferndale State Bank / Ferndale Fun Fact #1 / Ferndale History

 
 
Ferndale State Bank / Ferndale Fun Fact #1 / Ferndale History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2020
1. Ferndale State Bank / Ferndale Fun Fact #1 / Ferndale History Marker
Inscription.  
(Side 1)
Ferndale State Bank
Historical Site
141 W. Nine Mile

The Ferndale State Bank was the second bank in Ferndale, setting up shop within the former C.F. Smith Grocery store on July 1, 1924. Their early successes allowed them to construct a new home at 141 W. Nine Mile. Similar to the city's first bank, American State Bank, they did not survive the banking holidays of 1933 and were acquired by the Wabeek State Bank.

In 1953, Wabeek merged with Birmingham National Bank and Ferndale National Bank to form The Detroit Bank & Trust Company. The building later became lab space for an eyeglass manufacturer, and in 2002 it was converted to a nightclub. Despite numerous layers of facade materials, the original limestone facade still partially exists beneath the current veneer, as well as the original bank vault inside the building.

Ferndale wayfinding signage is being supported in part by a Preserve America grant administered by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior


(Side 2)
Ferndale Fun Fact #1
The original tracks of the Inter-Urban
Ferndale State Bank / Ferndale Fun Fact #1 / Ferndale History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2020
2. Ferndale State Bank / Ferndale Fun Fact #1 / Ferndale History Marker
Railcar of the Detroit United Railway from 1895-1947 are still buried beneath the median on Woodward Avenue. Ferndale Historical Museum is home to some of the track remnants after the Woodward & Nine Mile Median Improvement Project unearthed them in 2005.

Ferndale History
Like most of the communities surrounding Woodward Avenue north of Detroit, Ferndale began as a rural area with the earliest non-native American settler arriving in 1821. Originally part of Royal Oak Township, the community had farms and provided a resting point and services for those traveling on Woodward Avenue from Detroit to Pontiac in the first half of the 1800s. In 1890, the Campbell farm near Hilton Road was platted for summer cottages and Ferndale's population began to increase as a rural resort community outside of Detroit. Transportation to the area improved with the arrival of the Detroit Suburban Railway in 1890 and the paving of Woodward Avenue in 1912. The area was platted into subdivisions from 1910 through 1924.

With 1,600 people, Ferndale became a village in 1918. There were two churches, three schools (including the school at Woodward and Nine Mile Road) and six stores. During the next seven years the population increased dramatically. This growth was primarily influenced by the construction of Ford Motor Company's Highland Park Plant located two miles south on
Ferndale State Bank / Ferndale Fun Fact #1 / Ferndale History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2020
3. Ferndale State Bank / Ferndale Fun Fact #1 / Ferndale History Marker
Former Ferndale State Bank building.
Woodward. By 1924, the village's population reached 24,000 and in 1927 Ferndale became a city. The years following World War II brought additional growth to Ferndale in the number of residents and businesses, including new industries. The last 20 years of major efforts to bring new businesses and improvements to the downtown commercial area has created new vitality in the city and its residential neighborhoods.

Ferndale wayfinding signage is being supported in part by a Preserve America grant administered by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior
 
Erected 2011 by Ferndale Downtown Development Authority.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 42° 27.632′ N, 83° 8.12′ W. Marker is in Ferndale, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on West Nine Road, on the left when traveling west. Marker is about 210 feet west of Woodward Avenue (State Highway 1). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 141 West Nine Mile Road, Ferndale MI 48220, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memory of Vincent Chin (within shouting distance of this marker); From a Whisper to a Rallying Cry (within shouting distance of this marker); The Crow's Nest
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Deputy Albert Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); The Inter-Urban Railcar - Detroit United Railway (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer & Merriman Apartments / Ferndale Fun Fact #2 / Ferndale History (within shouting distance of this marker); The Professional Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Badder Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ferndale.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 28, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 25, 2021