Near Lovelady in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Houston-Leon County Coal Company
The Houston County Coal and Manufacturing Company was formed in 1900 for the purpose of mining lignite. Near this site, a slope mine was opened and a company town named Wooters was established. Company founders were A. H. Wooters, D. A. Nunn, G. Q. King, and Eli Elkins; John LeGory joined as a principal partner in 1906.
The early years of the company were difficult, as a market had to be found for lignite, a substance between peat and bituminous coal. Lignite was sold to power plants, gins and other facilities in East Texas. In 1907 land was purchased in Leon, Limestone and Freestone Counties, and additional mines were established in Evansville in Leon county. To reflect this expansion, the company name was changed to the Houston-Leon County Coal Company.
During its peak years from 1916 to 1925, the company employed about 200 people. The miners represented a diverse mixture of cultures; some were recruited as they arrived on foreign vessels in Galveston.
In 1932 the company was dissolved when natural gas changed the fuel market in Texas, though stockholders maintained diverse real estate holdings in the area. The lignite rights were retained by the owners, many of whom are descendants of the original stockholders.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7055.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 31° 10.026′ N, 95° 27.895′ W. Marker is near Lovelady, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is on Highway 19 3 miles north of Highway 1280, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lovelady TX 75851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lovelady Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Givens Homesite (approx. 7.6 miles away); Beeson-Box Cemetery (approx. 7.9 miles away); The David Crockett Spring (approx. 10.4 miles away); First National Bank of Crockett (approx. 10.4 miles away); Early Bank Building (approx. 10.4 miles away); Strode-Pritchett Log Cabin (approx. 10.4 miles away); W.V. McConnell Building (approx. 10.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 5 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • • Can you help?